North Carolina Executive Mansion

Report this page

North Carolina Executive Mansion

This fine Victorian-style mansion, home to N.C. governors since 1891, once was described by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as having “the most beautiful governor’s residence interior in America.” Built from native materials, it has been occupied by 28 governors’ families. Free admission. Tour reservations must be made a minimum of seven working days in advance; tour hours are limited and vary seasonally.

Advertisements


North Carolina’s Executive Mansion is not only home to the Governor, it is the “people’s house.” The building is also a meeting space, historic site, and an elegant event location. In addition, thousands of visitors visit during public tour season and during the holiday open house.

The first official residence built for North Carolina's governor was Tryon Palace in New Bern. Completed in 1770 as a home for royal governor William Tryon, and serving as the official seat of government, the structure was built largely with money accrued through taxation of the colony. The turmoil of the Revolutionary War - along with mounting demands for a more geographically centered location - prompted the General Assembly to move the capital from coastal New Bern in 1778. The legislature met in various towns throughout the state until 1792, when land was purchased from Col. Joel Lane, and Raleigh was established as the permanent capital of North Carolina.

There have been three official governors' residences in Raleigh. The first, at the corner of Fayetteville and Hargett Streets, was a two-story frame residence purchased in 1797. By 1810 the structure had proved inadequate, and plans were drawn for a more suitable dwelling.

A large brick house with elaborate white columns became the second official residence in 1816. The house, located at the end of Fayetteville Street (the present location of Memorial Auditorium), was built from a design by architect James Calder of Washington, North Carolina. Lack of funds prohibited regular maintenance with only minimal repairs made over the years.

From the burning of the State House in 1831 to the completion of the present Capitol in 1840, the governor's house also served as the meeting place for certain sessions of the General Assembly. Civil War Gov. Zebulon Vance’s brief stay (1862-1865) in the house was followed by Union Gen. William T. Sherman who used the structure as his headquarters. After the War ended the state decided to abandon this long-neglected building as the official executive residence. From 1865 to 1891 North Carolina governors had to rent their own homes in Raleigh, or stay at the Yarborough House on Fayetteville Street.

Under Governor Jarvis's prompting, the legislature passed a bill in 1883 authorizing the construction of Raleigh's third official residence on Burke Square, providing for its major furnishings, and requiring that the governor occupy the new dwelling. The governor and Council of State were directed to use prison labor and building materials for construction as cost saving measures. Samuel Sloan, of Philadelphia, and his assistant, Aldophus Gustavus Bauer, were chosen as architects. Sloan arrived in Raleigh with his designs for the grand structure in April 1883 and work was begun in the mild weather of early summer. Unfortunately, Sloan died in 1885, six years before the completion of the house. Bauer assumed full responsibility for the mansion’s completion. He remained in North Carolina, eventually becoming one of the state's most important nineteenth-century architects.

Inmate construction of the mansion was supervised by the warden of the prison, Col. William J. Hicks. Whenever possible, building materials were acquired from within the state. The bricks were made from Wake County clay and molded by prison labor. Many of these bricks, particularly in the sidewalks surrounding the house, still bear the inscribed names of the men who made them. The sandstone trim came from Anson County. The marble steps in front (later moved to the north side) came from Cherokee County, and oak and heart pine were shipped from all across North Carolina for use in building the house.

The Executive Mansion was completed in 1891 and remains one of the state's finest examples of the Queen Anne style of Victorian architecture. Its many attractive features include a steeply pitched gable, richly colored textural surfaces, and elaborate turned woodwork. The first occupant of the house was Gov. Daniel Fowle, who stayed from January 5, 1891, until his death on April 7, 1891. It has seen continuous use throughout the twentieth century with each successive Governor and First Family. In 1970 mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1973, the North Carolina General Assembly established the Executive Mansion Fine Arts Committee. The Committee is tasked with preserving and maintaining the mansion as a unique architectural treasure – a historic house and home. They also are responsible for acquiring historical and artistic objects for use in the mansion. They work with the First Family and the Secretary of Cultural Resources to ensure the continued use of this historic treasure by and for the people of North Carolina.

Present governor Beverly Perdue is the twenty-eighth governor to live in the mansion. She is the sixty-eighth person to hold this office in North Carolina since the end of the American Revolution. For information on visiting or touring the Executive Mansion, contact the Capital Area Visitor Center.

Address
North Carolina Executive Mansion, 200 N. Blount St.
Raleigh
NC
27601
USA
Contact Info
Telephone: 
919.807.7948, 866.724.8687

More like North Carolina Executive Mansion

  • North Carolina State Capitol
    Built between 1833 and 1840, this National Historic Landmark is one of the best-preserved examples of a civic building in Greek Revival-style
  • North Carolina State Archives
    The State Archives preserves and provides access to original and microfilm records of the colony and state of Nor th Carolina from 1663 to the
  • North Carolina State
    Home of the Nor th Carolina General Assembly, the building is unique because it is devoted solely to the legislative branch of state government.
  • The Pope House Museum Foundation
    Built in 1901, the Pope House represents life for a prominent African-American family in the early 20th century. The house was built by Dr. Manassa
  • Haywood Hall House and Gardens V
    JOHN HAYWOOD was born February 23, 1754, in Edgecombe County. He received his formal education from a clergyman of the Church of England, the Rev.
  • North Carolina State University Solar
    Constructed by the College of Engineering, the NCSU Solar House serves as a demonstration and research facility and is the headquarter for the
  • Pope House Museum In Raleigh, NC
    This will be the only house museum of an African American family in the state of North Carolina, and one of less than a dozen in the South. Since the