The Jones House - Built In 1908

The Jones House - Built In 1908

The heart of downtown Boone was built just after the turn of the century, though no one knew it at the time. The Jones House, which is now the town's Community Center and home of the Watauga Arts Council, was constructed by Dr. John Walter Jones in 1908. Jones was originally from Alleghany County, and was one of the early doctors of the area. His wife Mattie Blackburn Jones was the daughter of Boone merchant and prominent community member Manley Blackburn.

Advertisements


Dr. Jones kept his office and pharmacy above what is currently the upper floor of the Mast Store next to the Jones House property. He bought the land from the Councill family, which included the property that is now the home of The Mountain Times. Jones practiced medicine in the town until his death in 1925.

The land behind the house was used for a vegetable garden with pear, cherry, plum, and apple trees on the north side. There was also a barn, ice house, and a pasture for larger animals. The property shrank over the years as streets were built and widened.

Mattie Jones lived in the house until 1975 and died three years after that. The Joneses had two children, John Walter Jr., who died while in service of the Marine Corps in 1938, and Mazie Jean Jones Levenson, who has a first-floor gallery named after her in the historic house.

Much of the furnishings in the parlor were period pieces from when the Jones family lived there. The sofa, chair, tables, and floor lamp were original items that the town of Boone paid to have restored, and the sewing machine was manufactured in 1907.

The home was typical of houses of the era, with large windows and rooms, high ceilings, and a front and back porch. The entrance hall and parlor are walled with pine tongue-in-groove, or "boxcar", siding. Some of the chestnut wainscoting is still in the house as well, which underwent some slight renovations after being donated to the community. The house has a large, unfinished attic space with high ceilings, which the Jones' used for storage. Mazie Jones donated the house in the mid-1980's, with the Community Center opening to the public in 1988.

For more Info:
604 West King Street (Downtown Boone)
Boone, North Carolina 28607
Phone: 828.262.4576
Fax: 828.264.4599
Email: jone...@joneshousecommunitycenter.org
Web: http://www.joneshousecommunitycenter.org/

More Attractions like - The Jones House - Built In 1908

  • Lovill House Inn
    Lovill House Inn is a historic Bed and Breakfast Inn conveniently located on eleven wooded acres, less than one mile from Old Town Boone NC and Appalachian State University, just off the Blue Ridge
  • Boone - Center Of The High Country
    Boone offers everything for residents and visitors in the High Country. The town can claim the finest in tourist necessities such as shopping, dining and lodging. From health care to financial
  • High country History - 1900-1909
    ASU, Mast Store, And More Lees-McRae College The Jones House Wade Brown
  • The A.W. Ange House
    This community museum and cultural center is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The 1901 Victorian house is spon-sored by the Winterville Historical & Arts Society, Inc., and
  • The Perry House
    The Perry House was built in 1903 and recently restored into a beautiful country inn complete with custom designed furnishings by master craftsmen, Carl and Jim Stanton of Linville, North Carolina.
  • Cedar Grove House
    Federal style features a simple box structure with symmetrically arranged windows and doors, usually side gabled with exterior end chimneys. In 1831, a wealthy North Mecklenburg planter named James
  • Fishing Areas in Jones County
    Trent River, Pollocksville Public Fishing Area (PFA), Pollocksville How To Go: Located in Pollocksville, immediately downstream of the U.S. 17 bridge across the Trent River and adjacent to the