Fishing Areas in Wilkes County

East Prong Roaring River Public Fishing Area (PFA), Wilkesboro


Stone Mountain State Park, Phone: (336) 957-8185

How To Go:
From I-77, take U.S. 21 north toward Sparta. Go approximately seven miles; turn left on S.R. 1002 (Traphill Road). Go five miles to S.R. 1784 ( John P. Frank Highway); take it into Stone Mountain State Park.

About the East Prong Roaring River:
Two universally accessible fishing piers are located on the East Prong Roaring River in Stone Mountain State Park. One pier is located on the left just below the confiuence of Bullhead Creek and the East Prong Roaring River, and the other is located approximately one mile further down the road just before the group camping area. The East Prong Roaring River in the park is a Designated Public Mountain Trout Water, and a special trout fishing license is required. It is stocked with hatchery-reared trout and regulated as Delayed- Harvest Trout Water (catch-and-release regulations apply from Oct. 1 until the first Saturday in June). Restrooms are available at the visitors’ center, campground and parking lot at the base of Stone Mountain.

Primary Fish Species: Brook, brown and rainbow trout.

More Attractions like - Fishing Areas in Wilkes County

  • Fishing Areas in McDowell County
    Curtis Creek Public Fishing Area (PFA), Old Fort How To Go: From Asheville, take I-40 east (or from Morganton, take I-40 west) to the Old Fort exit. Go east on U.S. 70 approximately two miles, turn
  • Fishing Areas in Burke County
    Broughton Pond Public Fishing Area (PFA), Morganton How To Go: From I-40 take U.S. 64 south for 0.8 mile; turn left on S.R. 1949 (Salem Road). Go one mile; turn left on S.R. 1956 (Burkemont Road).
  • Fishing Areas in Polk County
    Green River, Green River Game Land Public Fishing Area (PFA), Mill Springs How To Go: From Hendersonville (in Henderson County), take I-26 south to exit 28. Turn left at the exit on Green River Cove
  • Fishing Areas in Ashe County
    Ashe County Park TLP, Jefferson Ashe County Parks and Recreation, Phone: (336) 982-6185 How To Go: From westbound U.S. 221 Business / N.C. 88 in Jefferson, turn right on North Main Street (Old N.C.
  • Fishing Areas in Transylvania County
    Davidson River, Coontree Public Fishing Area (PFA), Pisgah Forest How To Go: From Brevard, take U.S. 276 north. Go approximately four miles; U.S. Forest Service Coontree Recreation Area parking lot
  • Fishing Areas in Jackson County
    Balsam Lake Public Fishing Area (PFA), Cullowhee Highlands Ranger district office, Phone: (828) 526-3765 How To Go: From Sylva, take N.C. 107 south; turn left on N.C. 281 at Tkaseegee. Go
  • Fishing Areas in Buncombe County
    French Broad River Park Public Fishing Area (PFA), Asheville River Link, Phone: (828) 252-8474 Asheville Parks & Recreation Department, Phone: (828) 259-5800 How To Go: From Asheville, take I-40