Fishing Areas in Ashe County

Ashe County Park TLP, Jefferson


Ashe County Parks and Recreation, Phone: (336) 982-6185

How To Go:
From westbound U.S. 221 Business / N.C. 88 in Jefferson, turn right on North Main Street (Old N.C. 16). Go approximately 0.9 mile; turn left on Ashe Park Road. Continue on Ashe Park Road.

About the Ashe County Park: The pond is approximately 1.5 acre.

Primary Fish Species: Largemouth bass and sunfish.

Chinquapin Trout Lake Public Fishing Area (PFA), Jefferson

How To Go:
From Jefferson, take N.C. 88 east approximately 10 miles. Across from the Upper Mountain Agricultural Research Station, take S.R. 1599. Go four miles on the gravel portion of S.R. 1599 until the paved section is reached. Go approximately 0.1 mile past the beginning of the paved section; entrance is on the right.

About the Chinquapin Trout Lake:
A universally accessible fishing pier and two handicapped parking spaces are available. This lake is a Designated Public Mountain Trout Water, and a special trout fishing license is required. It is managed under the hatchery-supported, delayed-harvest regulations. From Oct. 1 until the first Saturday in June, fishing is restricted to catch and release with artificial lures having one single hook. From the first Saturday in June to Sept. 30, there are no lure restrictions and the creel limit is seven trout.

Primary Fish Species: Brook, brown and rainbow trout.

More Attractions like - Fishing Areas in Ashe County

  • Fishing Areas in McDowell County
    Curtis Creek Public Fishing Area (PFA), Old Fort How To Go: From Asheville, take I-40 east (or from Morganton, take I-40 west) to the Old Fort exit. Go east on U.S. 70 approximately two miles, turn
  • Fishing Areas in Burke County
    Broughton Pond Public Fishing Area (PFA), Morganton How To Go: From I-40 take U.S. 64 south for 0.8 mile; turn left on S.R. 1949 (Salem Road). Go one mile; turn left on S.R. 1956 (Burkemont Road).
  • Fishing Areas in Wilkes County
    East Prong Roaring River Public Fishing Area (PFA), Wilkesboro Stone Mountain State Park, Phone: (336) 957-8185 How To Go: From I-77, take U.S. 21 north toward Sparta. Go approximately seven miles;
  • Fishing Areas in Jackson County
    Balsam Lake Public Fishing Area (PFA), Cullowhee Highlands Ranger district office, Phone: (828) 526-3765 How To Go: From Sylva, take N.C. 107 south; turn left on N.C. 281 at Tkaseegee. Go
  • Fishing Areas in Buncombe County
    French Broad River Park Public Fishing Area (PFA), Asheville River Link, Phone: (828) 252-8474 Asheville Parks & Recreation Department, Phone: (828) 259-5800 How To Go: From Asheville, take I-40
  • Fishing Areas in Polk County
    Green River, Green River Game Land Public Fishing Area (PFA), Mill Springs How To Go: From Hendersonville (in Henderson County), take I-26 south to exit 28. Turn left at the exit on Green River Cove
  • Fishing Areas in Transylvania County
    Davidson River, Coontree Public Fishing Area (PFA), Pisgah Forest How To Go: From Brevard, take U.S. 276 north. Go approximately four miles; U.S. Forest Service Coontree Recreation Area parking lot